Accommodation options for international students in Canada

grant MacEwan University

So you have made a decision to study in Canada. The next important thing you must do is to decide where you are going to live while studying in Canada. Here are the accommodation options for international students in Canada:

On-campus housing

Many Canadian colleges and universities provide on-campus accommodation. This type of accommodation is available in the form of residence halls, dorms, bed-sitters, or townhouses. Dorms are huge buildings that accommodate many students, whereas townhouses are separate, accommodating typically 3-6 students. The size of dorms and the facilities offered can differ from one university or college to another.

A townhouse has separate rooms for each student and a main area that encompasses a kitchen and a living room. Third and fourth-year students mostly secure accommodation in townhouses.

When deciding where to stay during your study in the US, be sure to check the on-campus housing facilities available on the website of your college or university.

Off-campus housing

If you don’t get on-campus accommodation or choose not to stay on-campus, you can explore your options for off-campus housing. When looking for this type of accommodation, you should first check with your college or university’s housing office. They usually keep a list of rental units available in the vicinity of the school. Keep in mind that off-campus housing does not fall under the jurisdiction of the school. As such, you have to personally contact the owner and see the premises.

Off-campus accommodation is available in Canada in different types. It depends on your budget as to what type of housing you can avail. If you want to live in a house, it can be expensive for you. In such a case, you can ask other students if they can live in the house and share the rent and other expenses.

Build your new life in Canada

Start Here

(Visited 287 times, 2 visits today)