Can international students apply for permanent residence in Canada


When you start your study as an international student in Canada, you are considered a temporary resident. You are expected to leave Canada after the completion of your student, lest you file an application for permanent residency or a work permit.

If you are an international student in Ontario, you have three options to apply for permanent residency:

– Canadian Experience Class (CEC): The CEC is a popular immigration program that lets individuals with at least one year of work experience in Canada to apply for permanent residency.

– Opportunities Ontario: Provincial Nominee Program (PNP): The PNP is meant to give selected people the opportunity to become a permanent resident of Canada through an accelerated process. 

– Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP): If you are a skilled worker, you can apply for permanent residency through the Federal Skilled Workers Program. This program has been developed to let people with exceptional skills and abilities to immigrate to Canada and contribute to the Canadian economy and society.

The applicants for these programs are required to meet the eligibility criteria. For ranking purposes, these programs use the Express Entry system. If you have graduated from a Canadian university or college, you will get an extra score on the Express Entry system. And there is this standard that all those applicants who achieve the highest score on the Express Entry system get an invitation to apply for permanent residency.

 In case your application to become a permanent resident after graduating from a Canadian college or university is rejected, you may opt to apply for a post-graduate work permit that will let you stay and work legally in Canada. After gaining work experience, you can then again apply for permanent residence. The good news is that now you will have higher chances of successfully becoming a permanent resident of Canada. 

Build your new life in Canada

Start Here

(Visited 671 times, 1 visits today)