The challenges of sponsoring a child for permanent residence in Canada

In order to sponsor a child for permanent residence in Canada under the family class, you need to a parent of the child. Your relationship with the child must be biological or through adoption.

However, if there has been a divorce between the parents of the child, or if there is only a child involved, you would have additional requirements to meet. For example, you must prove the child is under your custody. This is one of the most challenging aspects of sponsoring a child for permanent residence in Canada.

It can be more difficult to sponsor a child for permanent residence in Canada is the mother or father of the child has already immigrated to Canada. In this case, the child may be under the custody of the other parent or a grandparent. If this is your case and you have not declared your child’s existence at the time of getting your permanent resident status, it may keep the child from getting permanent residence in Canada. There is also a risk you may also lose your own permanent resident status for misrepresentation when applying for permanent residency.

Fortunately, there are solutions like a humanitarian and sympathetic submission in an application to overcome these challenges. In such a case, the submission must answer whether the child will be better off in Canada despite not being eligible under the Family Class. However, the chances of success under this application are not guaranteed. There must sufficient and credible evidence that proves it is in the best interest of the child to get permanent residence in Canada. Moreover, the question as to why the existing estrangement of the child from the parent in Canada cannot be upheld must be addressed.

Build your new life in Canada

Start Here

(Visited 14 times, 1 visits today)