How can you get a social insurance number in Canada


A social insurance number (SIN) is used to manage different government programs in Canada. The SIN was first started in Canada in 1964 to manage the Canada Pension Plan and other insurance programs. If you want to get the SIN, you will have to fill and submit an application. Also, you need to submit certain supporting documents along with your application.

You can apply for the SIN in-person or by mail. To apply in-person, you should first download the application form or get a printed form from the Service Canada Centre. Next, fill out the application form and take it to the Service Canada Centre along with the required documents. If you meet the eligibility criteria, your SIN will be given to you on the day of submission of your application. The good news is that there is no application fee for getting a SIN.

On the other hand, if you live far from a Service Canada Centre, you can apply for the SIN by mail. Furthermore, if your circumstances keep you from applying in person, you can call 1-800-206-7218 to check your eligibility for applying by mail. Different settlement agencies can also help you apply for the SIN.

Canadian permanent resident, citizens, temporary residents, and some refugees claimants can apply for the SIN. However, refugee claimants and temporary residents of Canada will get an expiration date for the SIN.

Keep in mind that by law, Canadian citizens, temporary residents, and newcomers to the country are required to have the SIN to work in Canada and to enjoy the benefits and services offered by the Canadian government. Once you get your SIN, you must protect and show it only when it is legally necessary. Your SIN belongs to you, and you must not let anyone else use it.

Build your new life in Canada

Start Here

(Visited 111 times, 1 visits today)