How to sponsor your relatives to immigrate to Canada - Live In Canada
Home / Immigration / How to sponsor your relatives to immigrate to Canada

How to sponsor your relatives to immigrate to Canada

canadaIf you want to sponsor a relative to immigrate to Canada, you may do so under the Family Class. In order to do that, there are certain requirements you and your relative must meet. You must be at least 18 years of age to be a sponsor. You would also be required to prove that you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, or registered as an Indian in Canada.

The immigration officers would ask you to make a commitment to provide financial support to your relative when he/she arrives in Canada. You must be in a sound financial position, so you can meet the needs of your relative and yourself. You must be ready to provide accommodation, food, and clothing to the sponsored person in Canada. Also, the immigration authorities would scrutinize the application to be sure your relative will not require social assistance after entering Canada.

Your relative will be required to undergo medical tests and criminal and background checks, as required under the Canadian immigration law. If the person being sponsored has a history of offenses in his/her home country, or if the authorities think he/she is a security risk to Canada or Canadians, his/her application to immigrate to Canada under the Family Class may be denied. For criminal check, the person being sponsored must present to the immigration authorities a certificate from the police in his/her home country.

If the sponsor is living in Quebec, he/she must meet the specific eligibility requirements for the province. You would be required to sign an undertaking with Quebec province, legally binding you for the sponsorship.

The sponsor will also be required to provide a written statement, committing to financially support the relative in Canada from the day he/she becomes a permanent resident for up to 20 years.

Build your new life in Canada
Start Here