Every Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident can be a sponsor. But, in order to be one, the sponsor must meet certain requirements (for the family class Sponsorship).
Each sponsorship applicant is subject to the following requirements:
- The sponsor must demonstrate his/her financial ability and stability to provide the Family Sponsorship immigrant and other dependents with their essential living needs. Sponsors should be unable to provide for themselves and the immigrant the following:
- Food, shelter, clothing, and other different basic requirements of their everyday living;
- Dental and eye care. Also, other health needs that are not covered by public health services available to all Canadian citizens and Canadian permanent residents.
The following agreements must be entered into with the government of Canada or Quebec:
Each sponsor must agree to provide the immigrant with the essential living needs for a prescribed period of time; and also
If the sponsored relative is over 19 years old and not elderly, and he promises to support the sponsored person(s) for a prescribed period of time, the sponsored person(s) must promise to make every effort to support himself.
The sponsor must have either:
- Physical residency in Canada; or
- For Canadian citizens sponsoring a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, or dependent child, a demonstrated intention to reside in Canada by the time the sponsored family member lands in Canada as a permanent resident.
Each Sponsor must be at least 18 years old. He/she should not be in prison, bankrupt, under a removal order and also, not charged with a serious offence.
Build your new life in Canada